Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Other Side of Me


By: Wazi Kunene
Most of us were bullied when we were young; I never helped when I saw children being beaten by other children. This time I undressed my inner selfishness and fought for a friend who could not heal the deep scare of abuse, basically I showed her how its done.
Before the demonstration of how you handle a bully I was nervous, in my mind I had the stereotypical view of what a bully looks like and I was ‘freaked’ out. But I decided no, I have got to do this, I am a trend setter, I am a warrior and no I’m not scared, no I am not!

So we got to the perpetrator and child thief. She was formally dressed which made this extra exciting, I was determined; I looked her in the eye and said “Is this you, the bad girl? She gave me the eye and that moment I knew that this girl was questioning my identity, she was literally asking me what’ve got. I was ready and willing to tell her. I was going to “wipe the floor with her behind” then as a journalist write the story, I could be on both sides of the story, this girl had no idea where I come from.
With all the emotions running around inside of me, I finally decided to finish the little conversation, I asked my partner in crime (whom we’ve had ups and down, but she always had my back), to help me and we did it. I fought for somebody else. I did not look away; I stood and prevented other forth coming self esteems to be crushed. I was responsible for somebody else’s life by accessing the other side of me. I can be MEAN!
Pic: Elizabeth Karamura

No comments:

Post a Comment